Personal Accident Insurance
What is Personal Accident Insurance?
Personal Accident Insurance covers in the event of the person sustaining bodily injuries resulting solely and directly from an accident caused by external, violent and visible means, resulting into death or disablement (partial/total). It pays for injuries sustained, occurred anywhere in the world.
Why Personal Accident Insurance?
- An unfortunate event can happen to anyone, anywhere & anytime.
- Insurance policy cannot prevent the accident from happening, but the policy will protect from the financial losses that the accident may cause.
- Though the health insurance plan covers the medical expenses, and the life insurance protects the financial stability of family, the need of personal accident insurance still exists as it helps to cover financial deficits that arise on account of accidents.
- It covers accidental death and disabilities caused due to accident
What is covered under Personal Accident Insurance?
Personal Accident insurance covers:
- Rail / Road / Air Accident
- Injury due to any collision
- Slipping from stairs or in bathroom (fall)
- Fractures & burns
- Injury due to drowning, poisoning, animal bite, etc,.
What is not covered in Personal Accident Insurance?
Personal Accident Insurance does not cover an accidental loss that is caused by:
- Intentionally /self-inflicted injuries or sickness.
- Suicide or injuries resulting from attempted suicide.
- Injuries or death while on active duty in the armed forces of any country or international authority.
- Sickness, disease, pregnancy, childbirth, miscarriage, bodily infirmity or bacterial infection other than an infection from an accidental cut or wound.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol/intoxicating substance.
- Dangerous sports
- Voluntary involvement in Riots
- Diseases or infections caused before the occurrence of accident.
- Accident: Accident means a sudden, unforeseen and unexpected event caused by external, violent and visible means (but does not include any illness or disease) which results in physical injuries (but does not include mental, nervous or emotional disorders, depression or anxiety).
- Accidental Death: Death caused in an accident and not due to any natural cause, is claimed as accidental death.
- Permanent Total Disablement: Any accidental injury resulting into loss of any two limbs, or permanent and complete loss of sight in both eyes or injuries that render the insured incapable of earning an income and is certified by a medical specialist that the injury is of a permanent nature, then it is called as permanent total disablement.
- Permanent Partial Disablement: Any accidental injury resulting in permanent loss of any body part, one eye, one limb or one finger or a toe and is certified by a medical specialist that the injury is of a permanent and partial nature, then only the insured shall deemed to be permanently partially disabled. The loss may be permanent; its effects on the insured and on his life are partial.
- Temporary Total Disablement: Any accidental injury that is not permanent in nature making an injured person completely unable to perform any job functions on a temporary basis and is certified by a medical specialist that the injury is of a temporary and is unfit to work is termed as temporary total disablement.
What are the types of Personal Accident Insurance Policies available?
The following are the basic types of Personal Accident Insurance Policies:
- Individual: The policy can be availed by any individual for self protection.
- Family : Any individual can take this policy for protecting his family. It covers the individual(self), spouse (wife), parents and children Spouse and children are entitled a limited cover as per the policy.
- Group: It can be availed by a group of employees of an organization and their dependents, members of clubs, societies and associations, etc.